Here we are in the heat of the summer and that means we are in the prime of tomato season! The tomato plants in the high tunnels are nearly 9-10 feet tall (no exaggeration) and the tomatoes out in the fields are heavy with fruit and beginning to ripen. We can barely keep up with the quantities of fruit they are baring and that means lots of tomatoes to use up in the kitchen.
It is the perfect time to enjoy their amazing flavors raw, show off their lovely colors and throw some beans into the mix, because they are absolutely delicious right now too.
This salad is so simple and whips up in a snap. It gets even better as it sits in the bright, cider vinegar and honey dressing and the thinly sliced Tropea onions bring so much flavor to the mix. To top it off, the fresh flavor of basil gives the whole dish a fresh, green flavor that screams summer. It's the perfect side dish to any dinner, makes a great lunch, or a wonderful dish to bring to a family or friends gathering.
All you need in a pot of boiling water to quickly blanch the beans, a cutting board, knife and bowl to dump all the goodness into and you'll be in summer salad heaven in less than 15 minutes!
1. Bring a large pot with about 6 inches or so of water to a boil. You want your beans to be able to be submerged as best you can.
2. Rinse ½ pound of green beans and trim off tops.
3. Once water has begun to boil, add a generous pinch of salt and stir in the green beans.
4. While the beans begin to cook in the water, take a large bowl or container, set it in the sink and fill it half way with cold water. Add plenty ice cubes to the water.
5. After about 1-2 minutes of cooking in the boiling water and they begin to turn a rich green color, remove the beans with some tongs and immediately submerge them in the ice water. Take them out before they actually begin to soften because they will continue to cook a bit in the ice bath and you definitely want crisp beans for this recipe!
6. Let them sit in the water until they have cooled, remove them and pat them dry on a clean towel.
7. Chop the Chef's choice tomatoes into big chunks and slice the Sungolds in half.
8. Thinly slice half of a small Tropea onion into half moons.
9. Thinly slice fresh basil.
10. In a large serving bowl, add honey, apple cider vinegar and olive oil and whisk until fully combined.
11. Next drain and rinse your can of beans and add to the dressing, along with the sliced onions and fresh basil. I prefer Cannellini beans for this recipe, but I only had kidney! They still tasted great though. Use whatever you enjoy and have on hand.
12. Sprinkle with some coarse salt and few grinds of fresh pepper and combine.
13. Finally, add your remaining veggies and stir well.
14. Add any additional salt and pepper to taste and serve!
What's going on in the kitchen?
We love our vegetables and we cook and bake with them constantly. Here is a space where we can share what we have going on in the kitchen with you!